Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Euro 2012 - The England Squad



This needs to be talked about.


Alright alright, so I'm not a professional football manager.  Nor do I think we are in the same class as Spain, Holland, France, Germany etc.  However, there is something to be said for picking your best players!!!

Personally I think the likes of John Terry, Frank Lampard, dare I say it... Wayne Rooney are extremely overrated, and I'm a Man Utd fan!!  These over paid players play in world beating teams with fantastic talents around them who are NOT English!  English media is terrible for hyping up and consequently overpricing our nations players. 


Andy Carrol cost Liverpool £35,000,000
Luis Suarez cost Liverpool £22,800,000!



No wonder there is so many foreigners in the premier league.  Far more bang for the buck!  

In my opinion some of our countries best players have been left out:

Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes, Micah Richards, Darren Bent, Aaron Lennon.  

I understand that taking Rio would bring a lot of media attention, but the bottom line is, he is better than John Terry or Gary Cahill. 

I have no idea if Scholes wanted to play.  If he was available for selection, then I think England have missed out on arguably their best midfielder currently.  He's the closest thing to a Xavi we have.  

Micah Richards has just finished winning the premier league and is a solid choice at right back / centre back.  Its tough to see who he would replace because the most obvious candidate would be Phil Jones.  However, I think Phil Jones is absolute quality :P


I understand that Darren Bent has a minor injury which was part of his omission from the squad.  I honestly think he's the best striker our nation has.  People are gonna think I'm mental.  He has pace, good in the air and an eye for goal.  He's such a natural goal scorer.  Defoe is the other natural goal scorer in our team.  Welbeck is decent, but I just worry for him and Andy Carrol on the big stage. 


Aaron Lennon is lightning in a bottle.  His final ball is shocking, but he still scares defenders.  I suppose we will just have to wait and see as to whether or not the Oxelaide gamble will pay off.....

Rant over. 


Good luck Roy Hodgson.  I hope they don't sack you after the tournament! 

No comments:

Post a Comment