Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Coaching session + Life goals


Monday morning I had my coaching session with HokieGreg that was made possible due to some legendary people who voted for me.  Thanks again everyone :)


Obviously was happy with how this went.  We got loaded up skype, teamviewer, and began to review one of my matches.  Its cool to see where you went right, but MUCH cooler to see the spots / thought processes that were perhaps not the best. 
The main thing I took away from the session was that I have a tendency to 'get it in good', which means folding in spots that are +EV, in order to find better spots later in matches.  Given that you never know when that next spot might come up (if it ever does!), it is important to take the +EV whenever possible. 
Perfect example is if you are 100% sure that your opponent is 3 bet shoving you with a low pocket pair and you have A9 suited.  You have 1500 chips and the blinds are 15/30.  Pot odds say you need 48% to be break even.  A9 suited has 49.7% equity vs 22.  This makes it a +EV call.  Not only is it a +EV call, but it is far better for your hourly rate in the long run also.  I hope I got the maths right in this equation.  I have always been an average mathematician at best. 

The important thing to take in, is that I mostly pass up on this opportunity hoping to find a better spot.  Problem being, I cannot guarantee that a better spot will ever come up.  Especially in a short format heads up SNG match.  No matter how bad the opponent is.


So yeah the session went great, and I definitely took a few things from it.  I wish I could continue coaching with Hokie, but for the forseeable future I will be utilizing other learning tools as much as possible. 


With regards to how things are going in life at the moment, I have not been 100% well this last week or so.  This has stopped me from going to the gym on a few occasions, so I plan to get back on track in that area.  Other than that, things are good!  The winter hasn't been too brutal so far, my baby girl has been stringing some asburdly huge sentences together (for a 2 year old!), and I've just been promoted to Division 3 of the online Fifa 12 head to head seasons mode.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment